It is not unknown to have domain names hi-jacked, sending the visitors to another site selling or promoting a different product all together. Imagine if your Domain Name Missouri was tied to your very successful e-commerce site, a site that worked diligently to get high the search engine ranks, simply disappeared.
It can and does happen, anyone who can access the site with your domain name registrar can take over the site, diver your traffic and access your e-mail. In many cases, this scenario is perfectly legal, there are people who sit, poised and ready to pounce if you do not renew your domain name, and there is next to nothing you can do about it.
Here are a few tips that may help you keep your Domain Name Missouri.
1. The most common reason for losing control of the domain name is pure negligence on the part of the owner. A domain name requires renewal, if the date is missed, in a short period of time thereafter, the domain is deactivated and the name is up for grabs. The easiest way to avoid this is to set up an automated reminder system on your desktop calendar system.
2. Domain names can be renewed for up to 10 years, however, by registering them for renewal longer than one year makes it easy to forget and after ten years, your site is mature and providing an excellent return.
3. There are a number of people involved in a domain name registration; the key player is the owner of the domain. Many companies will leave the design of the website, and the hosting in the hands of the web designer, at this stage, the designer can easily register the domain under his name rather than the true owner or a trusted member of the owner’s staff. This must not happen, the domain must be registered in the owner’s name and if it is not, it must be changed immediately.
4. Keep the account secure, anyone who gains access to your account on your registrar’s web site is a potential threat to hi-jack the site and transfer the name to a new owner. The key to this security is the password, make it long and complicated so that even brute force from a hacker cannot gain entry. If the individual in the organization who is responsible for the company’s domain name leaves, make sure the passwords are changed.
5. Use permanent email addresses when you register your domain name in Missouri. It is easy to use a free email address and then promptly forget about it. The address expires if it is not used regularly. It is easy for someone to wait until your email address expires and then to register the address in his name, instantly, your domain name is gone into the hands of a hijacker.
With a few simple steps you will be able to avoid losing what can be, a very valuable asset.