Legal Separation And Children In Harrisburg, PA

by | Jun 10, 2013 | Legal Services

Getting a divorce from your spouse is tough, particularly if you are both the parents of a child or children. In the event that you and your spouse have children and decide to get divorced, you will be faced with the challenging personal decision of either allowing your spouse full custody of your child or children, or fighting in court for full or partial custody. A number of reputable family lawyers in Harrisburg, PA have made it their mission to provide the best representation possible to clients seeking full or partial custody of their children in family court cases. In order to increase your chances of being able to spend as much time as possible with your child or children, it is important to first seek out the assistance of one of these lawyers in order to determine where you stand in your specific case.

If you have already filed for divorce, or are already divorced then you will be familiar with the mediation process. The courts of Harrisburg attempt to resolve disputes between citizens as civilly as peacefully as possible, so mediation is suggested for cases where possible. Most family lawyers Harrisburg will be able to act as mediators for all involved parties, should the decision to meet and discuss matters civilly be agreed upon. If you or your spouse cannot agree to meet for mediation then your case will need to be taken to trial. Once taken to trial, the judge will probably award one parent with the majority amount of time (“full custody”) or instead award both parents with roughly equal amount of time (“partial custody”). In “full custody” cases, it is at the discretion of the custodial parent to determine how much time the other parent is allowed to spend with the children – this may be several days out of the week, or several hours depending upon the relationship which the mother, the father, and the children share.

Should your case end unfavorably, consult with other family lawyers in Harrisburg to make sure that you have done everything in your power to secure as much time with your children as possible. Ultimately, your best course of action may be to attempt to renegotiate with your spouse for better terms if you cannot return your case to court. Whether you choose to pursue your case further or not, remain respectful of the court’s decision and allow your spouse and your children the space or attention which they have been permitted.

Latest Articles